First round of demo video submissions closes March 31, 2020.
We are looking for Canada’s most talented singer-songwriters and music creators! Submit your demo video today to be considered for Season 8. All videos will be reviewed by a producer and if selected, you could be on the stage next fall! What are you waiting for?! Submit your demo video below!
Check out some tips from our Producers and some FAQ below before submitting your demo video!
The Shot is Canada’s only artist competition that focuses solely on a performer’s original music. While other competitions and artist development platforms encourage music creators to perform covers of chart-topping or recognizable tunes, The Shot believes in providing aspiring talent with the opportunity to showcase their own work in order to hone their craft, build a genuine fan base and be true to who they are as singer-songwriters.
· Shoot your video in a bright/well-lit setting. We want to be able to see you!
· Do not use auto-tune apps like Smule or StarMaker.
· Do not submit GoogleDrive links, Dropbox links, iCloud link or links to Instagram videos.
· Check your video before submitting it and make sure the audio can be heard clearly.
· Keep it short– a 2 minute video should do the trick!
· You are welcome to sing with a backing track as long as we can hear your voice clearly.
· Do not submit a highly edited video, sizzle reel, or video with highly processed vocals.
Do I have to be a Canadian citizen to apply?
Yes. Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply.
Does this air on TV?
It certainly feels and looks like it could be a television show, but no it is not a television show. However, The Shot is filmed and does streams online as a web series.
Are you only looking for original music?
Yes. We would like artists to only perform their own original music throughout the competition, including for their demo video.
Can I use the same demo video I sent in last year?
A lot can change in a year. We’d prefer that you submit a new video if you can.
Did you receive my demo video? When will I hear back about my video?
Due to the large volume of submissions, we are unable to acknowledge receipt of individual videos that were submitted. Every video received is reviewed, but ONLY if you have been selected to participate will a Producer call you to schedule your appearance for the next round of the competition. This will probably take place sometime in Spring of 2020.
Will I receive feedback from someone about my video demo?
Due to the large volume of submissions, we are unable to provide feedback on individual demo videos.
What happens if I am selected to move on to the next round?
If you are selected by the Producer to perform for our judges, you will receive an email in Spring 2020.
If I am selected to move to the next round, when and where will the season be held?
Season 8 will be held in Toronto in Fall 2020. Exact times and locations will be provided by a Producer if you are selected.
Who are the judges?
The judges for Season 8 in 2020 are yet to be announced but we pride ourselves on having a diverse panel from a variety of backgrounds from across the music business including professional songwriters, publishers, radio personalities, producers, managers and established singer-songwriters who can bring value to an artist’s experience participating in The Shot and to the artist’s music career after The Shot. Past judges have included Rick Barker (former manager to Taylor Swift), Danya Dixon (CEO of Canadian Music Week), international Flamenco guitarist Juneyt Yetkiner and country music recording artist Stacey Zegers. Stay tuned for an announcement about our Season 8 judges in Spring 2020.
Do I have to pay for my own travel, expenses, and accommodations?
Yes. Travel, meals and accommodations are at the sole expense of the artist unless otherwise advised by the Producer.
Why is there a fee to submit my demo video?
As a not-for-profit organization, applying fees to the video submission process helps us to cover overhead costs related to the production of The Shot. The fee to submit a video is the only cost associated with participating in the program. The submission fee also helps us to know that the artist has “skin in the game” and is committed to their participation.
Are there any hidden fees?
No. There are no additional costs outside the initial video submission fee. You will not receive a bill or invoice for any of the services or consultations provided during the process.
Will I be required to sign any kind of contract or agreement if I advance passed my demo video?
Yes. You will be asked to sign a participant agreement prior to your audition for the judges. However, you will not be asked to sign a contract that ties you to any deal or that would give away ownership of your music.
I’m getting an error message when I try to submit my demo video. What should I do?
If you receive an error message when you try to submit your demo video, please check the credit card number and try again. If the problem persists, please contact us at email@example.com.
Who runs The Shot?
The Shot is managed and produced by a group of music-loving volunteers and professionals who are dedicated to highlighting and showcasing amazing Canadian talent.
I can’t find the answer to my question here. Can I reach you by email?
Absolutely. General inquiries and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before continuing, please read and ensure that you comply with the following:
- This application is for solo artists only. Groups and bands are not permitted to apply.
- You must be 18 years of age or older on or by September 1, 2020. Proof of age and ID will be required at the first audition stage.
- You must upload a recent photo with your application, please have this ready before continuing — acceptable formats include png, jpeg or jpg.
- Only links to a Youtube or Vimeo video will be accepted.
- As we are looking for artists with original music, we prefer that your demo video feature your own original song. Your demo does not need to be the complete song. Read more information here before submitting.
- By completing this application form, you are indicating that you understand, acknowledge and agree and (where relevant) consent to Music & Artist Development Experience collecting and using your personal information in ways consistent with our Privacy Notice for Applicants and Registrants.
- By competing this application form, you are indicating that you understand, acknowledge and agree and (where relevant) consent to the Eligibility Requirements and indicate that you meet all of the requirements.
- A one-time, non-refundable submission fee of $20 (plus $3 service charge) is required to process your video audition. This site has been secured for credit card payments. Read more about the submission fee and why we have one in the FAQ above.
- If you receive a confirmation email with login information that includes a user name and password, you can disregard this email. You will receive a separate confirmation email at the end of January. You may also receive an email confirmation the confirmation of an account. Please keep this email for your record