Submit your video audition
Video auditions are an easy way to get yourself seen by our producers.
Please review our eligibility and video requirements before submitting your audition videos.
VIDEO AUDITIONS FOR SEASON 7 ARE NOW CLOSED.
Register to attend the open call, in-person auditions with our producers and casting director. The open auditions will be held in May 2019.
Please review our eligibility requirements before registering for the open call auditions.
OPEN AUDITION REGISTRATION FOR SEASON 7 IS NOW CLOSED.
Please be advised that you must meet the following eligibility requirements (which may be changed at any time by The Shot producers in its sole discretion) (collectively, the “Eligibility Requirements”) in order to proceed with the application process and to participate in The Shot:
- This contest is open to solo artists only. Singers can be of any genre.
- Group acts, bands and duets are not permitted.
- Entrants must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by March 31, 2019. All applicants who meet this criterion, including all persons significantly older than sixteen (16) years of age, are welcome and encouraged to apply to be an Entrant. All Entrants younger than eighteen (18) years of age who appear in front of the judges must have a signed parent/guardian consent form.
- Entrants shall be required to pay a one-time, non-refundable administration fee of $10.00 CAD for video auditions or $20.00 CAD for live auditions. No other fees shall be requested or required.
- Employees, officers, directors and agents of Music & Artist Development Experience (“MADE“) are not eligible to be a participant on the Program or participate in the application process. Additionally, Producer, Music & Artist Development Experience reserve the right to render ineligible any person who they determine, in their sole discretion, is sufficiently connected with the production or distribution of the Program such that his/her participation in the Program could result in or create the appearance of impropriety.
- Accommodation, travel or other expenses incurred by the Entrant shall not be reimbursed by The Shot or the producer and shall be at the sole expense of the Entrant.
- Entrants who have participated in previous seasons of The Shot and have advanced to the top four are not permitted to participate in a consecutive season of the program but may return to audition for seasons that follow (i.e. top four finalists from Season 2 cannot participate in Season 3 but can participate in Season 4).
- Past winners may not participate in the program a second time.
- You must be willing and be legally able to travel to or within Canada, on such dates and locations as Producer shall designate, in its sole discretion.
- You must be available and be able to commit to all the filming days required. You understand that filming for the Program is scheduled to take place in Ontario, Canada, anytime between April to September, 2019. If you are chosen to participate, it is your responsibility to make any necessary personal and financial arrangements with your family and employers or school in anticipation of your absence. You will also be required to participate in additional activities related to the Program including but not limited to publicity and promotional activities, social media initiatives, digital and sponsorship activities, as determined by Producer.
- If you are chosen to participate in the Program, you will be videotaped, filmed, portrayed, photographed and otherwise have recordings of you and your actions broadcast throughout the duration of the Program and broadcast in perpetuity in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe in perpetuity, at the sole discretion of the Producer.
- There will be one grand prize winner. The Entrant will be declared the winner by having the most number of votes by the audience at the The Shot finale on the date designated by the Producer. Pooling of audience votes may include live audience voting, use of an application or another collection technique as designated by the organizers.
- If you are chosen to participate in the Program, you must complete the participant form package, which will be provided by the Producer and will include, but is not limited to: a participant agreement and release, confidentiality agreement, an option agreement, a parent or legal guardian release form (if you are under the age of 18), and other additional information as required by Producer.
- To apply or participate in the Program, you cannot be currently signed to any label or have any obligations that would impact your ability to participate in the Program.
- If you are under the age of 18 and are chosen to participate in the Program, your parent or legal guardian must accompany you during production and any additional activities related to the Program (ie. publicity and promotional requirements, social media initiatives, sponsorship activities, etc.).
- The right is reserved by The Shot producers to terminate this contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the contest, and/or these rules at any time.
- Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the contest entities (including The Shot, Music & Artist Development Experience and all sponsors and partners) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from:
a) the entrant’s participation in the contest; or
b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by an entrant; or
c) injuries, whether minor, mild or major, sustained on the premises of any events associated with the Entrant’s participation in The Shot.
By registering for The Shot, Entrants acknowledge they have read and agree to the rules of the competition.
Video Steps & Requirements
Step 1: Record and Upload Your Video
Record your video and upload it to Youtube or Vimeo. Broken links to videos that can not be opened will not be considered. We strongly recommend only uploading your video to Youtube or Vimeo.
Step 2: Submit Your Video and Pay Administrative Fee
When registration has opened, you will be able to submit your video and pay the one-time, non-refundable administrative fee of $10.
Step 3: Your Video Is Reviewed
Once submitted, your video will be reviewed by The Shot casting team.
Step 4: If Selected, You Will Be Notified
If selected, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to the Live Auditions in Spring 2019.
Step 5: Print Your Confirmation E-mail
You MUST PRINT and BRING the e-mail along with photo ID to the auditions.
When you register for The Shot, you will be asked to provide a link to an online video. The video should include:
ABOUT YOU (this portion of your video should be no more than 2-3 minutes long)
- An introduction of who you are: your name, age, where you’re from, your job/profession
- Something interesting about you
- Your reason for wanting to do The Shot
- A description of why you are passionate about music
- A performance of one song of your choice; you can choose to do the whole song or part of a song
WARNING: If you decide to submit a video that has you in a band or a duet, it may be difficult for the judges to pick out your voice. Choose your video wisely if you are going to use a pre-made video and are not going to to record and submit a video made specifically for your audition. You cannot submit an alternate video after one has already been submitted.
You can use a backing track or instrument or accompaniment for your audition video.BE CREATIVE! We want to see your personality, excitement and energy!
Make sure the video is the way you want it before submitting. We will only consider your first submission.
Videos do not need to be professionally produced. We will NOT be judging the quality of the video itself, only the presentation and vocal.
If you are invited to the Live Auditions, you will be provided with additional information including the date, time and location.
Can I audition if I am under the age of 16?
In order to audition, you must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by March 31, 2019.
Can I audition if I am not a Canadian citizen?
YES, YOU CAN! The Shotis open to anyone from anywhere but, you must be legally able to enter Canada and be able to participate in all portions of the process you advance to.
What if I auditioned last season, can I audition again?
Can I perform an original song for my video audition?
Yes, yes, yes!
When will I be notified if I made to the Live Auditions?
If you submit a video audition, you will be notified about Live Auditions Spring 2019.
If I don’t make it to the Live Auditions, can I have a refund for my administration fee?
Unfortunately, the administration fee is non-refundable.
Can I use a backing track or instrument or have accompaniment in my video audition?
Yes, yes you can.
Can I send a video of a past performance?
Well, you can but it may not be the best representation of you. Go back and re-read (or read for the first time), the Video Audition Guidelines above.
If I am selected for a live audition, when will they be?
Live Auditions with the judges will be held in Spring 2019. Additional information about dates, times and locations will be provided in 2019.
- Be yourself.
- Pick songs that suit your style (genre). Show us who you want to be as an Artist!
- Be original! If you think a song has been overdone, chances are, it has been! Show us originality and pick something not as common, but still relevant.
- Be careful if you decide to do an original show for your Live Audition. It’s hard for the judges to determine what kind of artist you are and can be distracting!
- Sometimes nerves get the best of us. Pick songs that you know you can sing well and carry out under pressure!
- Dress to impress! Wear what you would wear if you were to land a chance to sing for a major label or a job interview.
- Remember to have fun! Show us your personality and energy!
- You’re unique in your own way. Don’t overthink your audition. Don’t compare yourself to others.