The Shot is Canada’s biggest and fastest growing vocal talent competition featuring the world’s best artists.
We are searching for solo artists that perform all types of music: pop, rock, R&B, hip-hop, alternative, latin, country, blues, indie.
We are inviting vocalists from anywhere in the world to submit their videos including a short performance in order to be selected to audition in front of the judges. We want to know your story and why you are ready for your ‘Shot’.
To be eligible to submit a video audition, you must be at least 16 years of age or older and meet all other eligibility requirements.
How to Audition by Video Submission
Step 1: Record and Upload Your Video
Record your video and upload it to Youtube or Vimeo. Broken links to videos that can not be opened will not be considered. We strongly recommend only uploading your video to Youtube or Vimeo.
Step 2: Submit Your Video and Pay Administrative Fee
When registration has opened, you will be able to submit your video and pay the one-time, non-refundable administrative fee of $10.
Step 3: Your Video Is Reviewed By The Judges
Once submitted, your video will be reviewed by the judges.
Step 4: If Selected, You Will Be Notified
If selected, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to the Callbacks in September 2018.
Step 5: Print Your Confirmation E-mail
You MUST PRINT and BRING the e-mail along with photo ID to the auditions.
Video Audition Guidelines
When you register for The Shot, you will be asked to provide a link to an online video. The video should include:
ABOUT YOU (this portion of your video should be no more than 5 minutes long)
- An introduction of who you are: your name, age, where you’re from, your job/profession
- Something interesting about you
- Your reason for wanting to do The Shot
- A description of why you are passionate about music
- A performance of one song of your choice; you can choose to do the whole song or part of a song
WARNING: If you decide to submit a video that has you in a band or a duet, it may be difficult for the judges to pick out your voice. Choose your video wisely if you are going to use a pre-made video and are not going to to record and submit a video made specifically for your audition. You cannot submit an alternate video after one has already been submitted.
You can use a backing track or instrument or accompaniment for your audition video.BE CREATIVE! We want to see your personality, excitement and energy!
Make sure the video is the way you want it before submitting. We will only consider your first submission.
Videos do not need to be professionally produced. We will NOT be judging the quality of the video itself, only the presentation and vocal.
You will be notified about the result of your video audition in August 2017. If you are invited to the Callbacks, you will be provided with additional information including the date, time and location.
Please be advised that you must meet the following eligibility requirements (which may be changed at any time by The Shot producers in its sole discretion) (collectively, the “Eligibility Requirements”) in order to proceed with the application process and to participate in The Shot:
- This contest is open to solo artists only. Singers can be of any genre.
- Group acts, bands and duets are not permitted. Accompaniment is not permitted.
- Entrants must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by the date of registration. All applicants who meet this criterion, including all persons significantly older than sixteen (16) years of age, are welcome and encouraged to apply to be an Entrant. All Entrants younger than eighteen (18) years of age who appear in front of the judges must have a signed parent/guardian consent form.
- Entrants shall be required to pay a one-time, non-refundable administration fee of $10.00 CAD for video auditions or $20.00 CAD for live auditions. No other fees shall be requested or required.
- Entrants shall not be required to sell or promote items associated with the contest.
- Parents, guardians or guests accompanying Entrants will not be permitted to join, observe, or participate in any closed sessions including but not limited to auditions, callbacks and bootcamp unless otherwise invited or requested by The Shot staff.
- Accommodation, travel or other expenses incurred by the Entrant shall not be reimbursed by The Shot or the producer and shall be at the sole expense of the Entrant.
- Entrants who have participated in previous seasons of The Shot and have advanced to the top four are not permitted to participate in a consecutive season of the program but may return to audition for seasons that follow (i.e. top four finalists from Season 2 cannot participate in Season 3 but can participate in Season 4).
- Past winners may not participate in the program a second time.
- Entrants will have ninety (90) seconds to audition for The Shot judges. Judges may, at their discretion, stop an audition at any time. Entrants require four (4) “yes” votes from the judges in order to advance from the auditions to the callbacks round.
- Entrants who move on passed the auditions stage of the contest must attend the callbacks round and any subsequent events or required processes. If an Entrant passes the auditions but is unable to attend callbacks, the Entrant will be immediately disqualified from the competition and their spot will be given to another Entrant.
- Entrants who move on passed the callbacks stage of the contest must attend the bootcamp round and any subsequent events or required processes. If an Entrant passes the callbacks but is unable to attend bootcamp, the Entrant will be immediately disqualified from the competition and their spot will be given to another Entrant.
- Entrants may perform a cover or original song for their audition only. Original songs must be their own and the artist must be the sole writer of the song.
- Instruments are not permitted in the audition.
- There will be one grand prize winner. The Entrant will be declared the winner by having the most number of votes by the audience at the The Shot finale on the date designated by the organizers. Pooling of audience votes may include live audience voting, use of an application or another collection technique as designated by the organizers.
- Lyrics of original music or lyrics to covers must not include or contain any material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, pornographic, threatening or abusive, content that is otherwise objectionable or would be deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by The Shot producers in its sole discretion. The Shot reserves the right to disqualify any entries that contain the elements previously described.
- All decisions made by The Shot judges or producers with respect to the acceptance of any entry and eligibility of entries shall be final and binding. The Shot reserves the right to extend the deadline of the competition and/or announcement of the winner if needed.
- The right is reserved by The Shot producers to terminate this contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the contest, and/or these rules at any time.
- Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the contest entities (including The Shot, Allegiance Music and all sponsors and partners) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from:
a) the entrant’s participation in the contest; or
b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by an entrant; or
c) injuries, whether minor, mild or major, sustained on the premises of any events associated with the Entrant’s participation in The Shot.
- Failure to comply with the rules as outlined above may result in disqualification.
By registering for The Shot, Entrants acknowledge they have read and agree to the rules of the competition.
Video Audition FAQs
1. Can I audition if I am under the age of 16?
In order to audition, you must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by September 1, 2018.
2. Can I audition if I am not a Canadian citizen?
YES, YOU CAN! The Shot is open to anyone from anywhere but, you must be legally able to enter Canada and be able to participate in all portions of the process you advance to.
3. What if I auditioned last season, can I audition again?
4. Can I perform an original song for my video audition?
Yes, yes, yes!
5. When will I be notified if I made to the Callbacks?
If you submit a video audition, you will be notified about Callbacks in mid-August 2018.
6. If I don’t make it to the Callbacks, can I have a refund for my administration fee?
Unfortunately, the administration fee is non-refundable.
7. Can I use a backing track or instrument or have accompaniment in my video audition?
Yes, yes you can.
8. Can I send a video of a past performance?
Well, you can but it may not be the best representation of you. Go back and re-read (or read for the first time), the Video Audition Guidelines above.
9. If I am selected for a callback, when will they be?
Callbacks will be held in September 2018. Additional information about dates, times and locations will be provided in August 2018.
1. Be yourself.
2. Pick songs that suit your style (genre). Show us who you want to be as an Artist!
3. Be original! If you think a song has been overdone, chances are, it has been! Show us originality and pick something not as common, but still relevant.
4. Be careful if you decide to do an original show for your Live Audition. It’s hard for the judges to determine what kind of artist you are and can be distracting!
5. Sometimes nerves get the best of us. Pick songs that you know you can sing well and carry out under pressure!
6. Dress to impress! Wear what you would wear if you were to land a chance to sing for a major label or a job interview.
7. Remember to have fun! Show us your personality and energy!
8. You’re unique in your own way. Don’t overthink your audition. Don’t compare yourself to others.