The Shot is Canada’s biggest and fastest growing vocal talent competition featuring the world’s best artists.
We are searching for solo artists that perform all types of music: pop, rock, R&B, hip-hop, alternative, latin, country, blues, indie.
We are inviting vocalists from anywhere in the world to submit their videos including a short performance in order to be selected to audition in front of the judges. We want to know your story and why you are ready for your ‘Shot’.
To be eligible to register for in-person auditions, you must be at least 16 years of age or older and meet all other eligibility requirements.
What You Need to Know About In-Person Auditions
Live auditions will be held in September 2018 in Kitchener, Ontario.
Please prepare two (2) songs for your audition. You will be required to perform one song, but have a second song ready if asked.
A CAPPELLA ONLY at the auditions. You CAN perform an original song for your audition.
NO background tracks, NO accompaniment, NO instruments.
The only thing we want to hear is YOUR VOICE. To be clear, you CANNOT play your guitar at the auditions.
Songs can be by any artist and from any genre (pop, rock, R&B, hip-hop, alternative, latin, country, blues, indie.)
Pick songs that fit your voice and best represent the artist you are.
Family, friends, managers, vocal instructors, etc. will NOT be allowed in the audition room.
If you are under 18, a parent/guardian will be required to sign a consent form.
You will be required to read and sign a waiver at the auditions.
Come dressed in a style that represents you as an artist. Do NOT come dressed in “chicken costumes.” We are looking for serious artists ONLY.
Please plan to be at the audition all day. We suggest bringing snacks and water. Please check the weather and plan accordingly.
If you pass the Open Audition, you will be asked to attend callbacks, please plan accordingly. Accommodations will NOT be provided.
The audition structure is similar to a job interview: the judges will ask you questions, ask you to sing and may ask follow-up questions.
Please be advised that you must meet the following eligibility requirements (which may be changed at any time by The Shot producers in its sole discretion) (collectively, the “Eligibility Requirements”) in order to proceed with the application process and to participate in The Shot:
- This contest is open to solo artists only. Singers can be of any genre.
- Group acts, bands and duets are not permitted. Accompaniment is not permitted.
- Entrants must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by the date of registration. All applicants who meet this criterion, including all persons significantly older than sixteen (16) years of age, are welcome and encouraged to apply to be an Entrant. All Entrants younger than eighteen (18) years of age who appear in front of the judges must have a signed parent/guardian consent form.
- Entrants shall be required to pay a one-time, non-refundable administration fee of $10.00 CAD for video auditions or $20.00 CAD for live auditions. No other fees shall be requested or required.
- Entrants shall not be required to sell or promote items associated with the contest.
- Parents, guardians or guests accompanying Entrants will not be permitted to join, observe, or participate in any closed sessions including but not limited to auditions, callbacks and bootcamp unless otherwise invited or requested by The Shot staff.
- Accommodation, travel or other expenses incurred by the Entrant shall not be reimbursed by The Shot or the producer and shall be at the sole expense of the Entrant.
- Entrants who have participated in previous seasons of The Shot and have advanced to the top four are not permitted to participate in a consecutive season of the program but may return to audition for seasons that follow (i.e. top four finalists from Season 2 cannot participate in Season 3 but can participate in Season 4).
- Past winners may not participate in the program a second time.
- Entrants will have ninety (90) seconds to audition for The Shot judges. Judges may, at their discretion, stop an audition at any time. Entrants require four (4) “yes” votes from the judges in order to advance from the auditions to the callbacks round.
- Entrants who move on passed the auditions stage of the contest must attend the callbacks round and any subsequent events or required processes. If an Entrant passes the auditions but is unable to attend callbacks, the Entrant will be immediately disqualified from the competition and their spot will be given to another Entrant.
- Entrants who move on passed the callbacks stage of the contest must attend the bootcamp round and any subsequent events or required processes. If an Entrant passes the callbacks but is unable to attend bootcamp, the Entrant will be immediately disqualified from the competition and their spot will be given to another Entrant.
- Entrants may perform a cover or original song for their audition only. Original songs must be their own and the artist must be the sole writer of the song.
- Instruments are not permitted in the audition.
- There will be one grand prize winner. The Entrant will be declared the winner by having the most number of votes by the audience at the The Shot finale on the date designated by the organizers. Pooling of audience votes may include live audience voting, use of an application or another collection technique as designated by the organizers.
- Lyrics of original music or lyrics to covers must not include or contain any material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, pornographic, threatening or abusive, content that is otherwise objectionable or would be deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by The Shot producers in its sole discretion. The Shot reserves the right to disqualify any entries that contain the elements previously described.
- All decisions made by The Shot judges or producers with respect to the acceptance of any entry and eligibility of entries shall be final and binding. The Shot reserves the right to extend the deadline of the competition and/or announcement of the winner if needed.
- The right is reserved by The Shot producers to terminate this contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the contest, and/or these rules at any time.
- Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the contest entities (including The Shot, Allegiance Music and all sponsors and partners) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from:
a) the entrant’s participation in the contest; or
b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by an entrant; or
c) injuries, whether minor, mild or major, sustained on the premises of any events associated with the Entrant’s participation in The Shot.
- Failure to comply with the rules as outlined above may result in disqualification.
By registering for The Shot, Entrants acknowledge they have read and agree to the rules of the competition.
In-Person Audition FAQs
1. Can I audition if I am under the age of 16?
In order to audition, you must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by September 1, 2018.
2. Can I audition if I am not a Canadian citizen?
YES, YOU CAN! The Shot is open to anyone from anywhere but, you must be legally able to enter Canada and be able to participate in all portions of the process you advance to.
3. What if I auditioned last season, can I audition again?
4. Where are live auditions held?
Live auditions for Season 6 will be held in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
5. How long will my audition at Live Auditions be?
There will be waiting so please plan to be at the audition all day. You will have approximately ninety (90) seconds to audition in front of the judges. Start strong with your best song first. You may be asked to sing only a verse and a chorus so please be prepared.
6. Can I perform an original song for my audition?
YES! For the first time ever, we are allowing original songs in the auditions.
7. If I don’t make it to the Callbacks, can I have a refund for my administration fee?
Unfortunately, the administration fee is non-refundable.
8. Is there a list of songs that I have to sing from for the audition?
NO. Prepare songs that best suit your voice and represent you as an artist. Have 1 or 2 in your back pocket in case the judges want to hear another song.
9. Can I bring a track, instrument, or accompaniment to my live audition?
NO. ALL open live auditions are a cappella – NO EXCEPTIONS!
10. If I am under 18, what do I need to bring with me in order to audition?
A parent or legal guardian must accompany you to your audition and must sign the waiver. If your parent or legal guardian cannot accompany you to the audition, you must be accompanied by an individual age 18 years of age or older and your Parental Consent Form must be signed by your parent or legal guardian, and notarized. Please remember, your parent or legal guardian must accompany you to the notary and sign the Parental Consent Form in the presence of the notary.
11. Is this Live Audition in front of the judges?
YES! The judges will be at the auditions.
12. If I am selected for a callback, when will they be?
If you are selected to attend Callbacks, you will be required to come in-person to the Callbacks in September 2018.
13. Can I bring friends and family to the Live Auditions with me?
Friends and family may accompany you to the auditions but will NOT be permitted in the audition room unless specifically requested by the judges.They will be required to either wait in the holding area or outside the audition room.
14. How can I cancel my audition?
Cancel your audition by e-mailing email@example.com with “Cancel Audition” as the subject line.
15. My dad/mom/brother/sister/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc. usually plays guitar/piano/accompanies me when I sing, can they accompany me for my Live Audition?
NO. Live Auditions are a cappella ONLY.
1. Be yourself.
2. Pick songs that suit your style (genre). Show us who you want to be as an Artist!
3. Be original! If you think a song has been overdone, chances are, it has been! Show us originality and pick something not as common, but still relevant.
4. Be careful if you decide to do an original show for your Live Audition. It’s hard for the judges to determine what kind of artist you are and can be distracting!
5. Sometimes nerves get the best of us. Pick songs that you know you can sing well and carry out under pressure!
6. Dress to impress! Wear what you would wear if you were to land a chance to sing for a major label or a job interview.
7. Remember to have fun! Show us your personality and energy!
8. You’re unique in your own way. Don’t overthink your audition. Don’t compare yourself to others.